R:TSX: 0.64  +0.00
Gold: 1,195.95  -5.48
 
Our Projects

History of Carolina Mining

1799

Conrad Reed, son of John Reed, finds a 17-pound nugget of gold in a North Carolina creek bed. However, the Reed family did not realize the value of the interesting rock and used it as a doorstop for years. Upon learning of the value of the rock, John Reed began successfully panning for gold in the nearby Little Meadow Creek.

1827

Benjamin Haile (1768 - 1842) discovers gold in the streams on his plantation. By 1837, Haile Gold Mine is using a 5-stamp mill to crush ore for gold extraction. During the 1880s, German mining engineer, Carl Adolf Thies (1832 -1917) is hired by HGM. Thies implements a 60-stamp mill capable of processing 100 tonnes per day making HGM the highest producing gold mine east of the Mississippi.

1904

Adolf Thies retires, leaving two of his sons, “Dolph” and Ernest to supervise HGM, until August 1908 when a boiler explosion claims the life of three workers, including Ernest Thies. HGM closes its doors in 1912 after almost four years of hardship following the massive explosion.

1914 – 1918

The mine is re-opened temporarily to mine for WWI war efforts, mining pyrite and sulphur for both explosives and medicinal purposes. Following the war, attempts to re-establish gold mining at HGM are made but are discontinued when WWII drafting made it impossible to find workers.

1980s

Piedmont Mining conducts near surface oxide operations and produces approximately 85,000 ounces of gold over a 5-year period. After joint-venturing with Amax Gold in the late 1980s, mining activities are ceased and a comprehensive drilling program in both core and reverse circulation drilling is conducted.

1990s

During the 1990s, Kinross acquires Amax Gold and subsequently Piedmont’s interest. The project is put on hold during the downturn of the industry and Kinross releases a majority of its land position.

2007

In October 2007, Romarco Minerals Inc. purchase HGM land, owned by Kinross, as well as an adjoining section of land from a timber investment company. Both transactions result in Romarco owning the historical reserve delineated by Amax Gold (750,000 ounces of gold).

2014

Our History is Now – Romarco has turned an old tradition into a new opportunity. Romarco has delineated 4.0 million ounces (includes 2.0 million ounce proven and probable reserves) of measured and indicated mineral resource with an additional 800,000 in the inferred mineral resource category. Romarco has completed permitting and is rapidly advancing towards construction, development and production.1
1 Based on assumptions, parameters and methods available in the March 12, 2013 Technical Report.